The Daily Bongo
How to Make Pumpkin Pie
One of the easiest pies to make from scratch is a pumpkin pie. The filling is basically an uncooked mixture of ingredients. Perhaps the hardest thing to make is the crust. However, by following these easy steps, you can make a pumpkin pie.
The first thing to do is to collect your ingredients.
|Crust for a 9 inch pan||Pumpkin filling|
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3rd cup, plus 1 Tbsp. shortening
2-3 Tbsp. cold water
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs OR 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
15 oz. Libby's pumpkin
12 oz. fat free evaporated milk
You are now ready to start making your pie.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
3. Add shortening. I used margarine, and added the margarine in 1 Tbsp. increments. There are 5 Tbsp and 1 tsp in a 1/3rd cup. So you will add 6 Tbsps. and 1 tsp. of margarine.
|4. Using a pastry blender, mix the flour and shortening. Don't over mix!|
|5. The mix should resemble crumbs.|
|6. Add cold water 1 Tbsp. at a time until you can form a ball with the dough. I only used 2 Tbsp. to make this ball form.|
|7. Put the ball on a well floured surface. Cover the ball with flour.|
|8. Roll out the dough.|
|9. Use your pie pan to measure if the dough is rolled out enough.|
|10. Fold the dough into half and then into half again. It's easier to transfer the dough to the pan this way.|
|11. Put the dough in the pan and unfold.|
|12. Don't be afraid of unevenness or bald patches. Just take some dough from another section that has too much, and fix the patch.|
|13. Crimp the edges. If you have too much dough in some sections of the crust, move it to areas that are skimpy.|
|14. Now it's time to prepare the pumpkin filling. Gather your ingredients, bowl, and a whisk. If you don't have a whisk, just use a spoon.|
You can use real eggs or Egg Beaters in this recipe. I use Egg Beaters because they do not have saturated fat.
15. Put the eggs into the bowl and whisk to mix.
16. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ginger, 1/4 tsp. cloves, and the Libby's pumpkin.
|18. Slowly add the evaporated milk and mix.|
|19. The completed pumpkin mix.|
|20. Pour pumpkin mix into the pie pan and crust.|
21. Put the pie into the oven. I put a pizza pan under the pie to catch any possible pie overflow.
22. Bake the pie at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
23. After 15 minutes, reduce the oven to 350 degrees, and bake for an additional 40-50 minutes.
24. At the end of the bake time, insert a butter knife into the center of the pie. If the knife comes out clean, the pie is finished. If the knife has pie liquid on it, keep on baking.
I baked my pie for 70 minutes at 350 degrees.
25. The finished pie! Let the pie cool completely. Top with your favorite whipped cream, and enjoy!
For my pie, with Egg Beaters, fat-free evaporated milk, and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Lite, 1/8th of the pie has 225 calories and 1 gram of saturated fat.